Using tap water to make baby formula may not be a wise decision given the possible contaminants that can exist in tap water nowadays. In case you are a parent, please read this article in its entirety. I have some valuable information to share with you. Are you aware of just how vulnerable your child is?
1. Microbial Threats – Inside the spring of 1993 a microscopic parasite called Cryptosporidium parvum was responsible for longer than 100 deaths in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It arrived through the city’s water supply since a water treatment plant did not filter it out. Nowadays stricter regulations help to ensure that our h2o is monitored and treated efficiently before finding yourself at our taps.
However we need to not relax since there still are many waterborne bacteria that also cause illnesses. A list includes nontyphoid Salmonella, pathogenic Escherichia coli and Legionella. Each one is still very active, Legionella grows vigorously in tepid to warm water, like in a shower where it can be inhaled from the steam.
2. Lead – Probably the most feared of all contaminants due to the damage it can cause towards the brain. A newly released sampling of tap water in Washington D.C. exposed lead levels 5 times the EPA standard. The lead is most likely to come from your own household plumbing. This can happen if your house has lead pipes, or copper pipes soldered with lead and in addition it depends on the age of your property.
In reality the EPA recommend that you simply use cold water for cooking, drinking and particularly to make baby formula. It is because your hot water is most likely to contain higher concentrations of lead. You happen to be at the greatest risk from the contact with lead if you are a young child or if you are pregnant
3. Chlorinated Solvents – Do you use the following, drain cleaners, shoe polish, waxes, oven cleaners? These contain chlorinated solvents, they fit in with a chemical family that is certainly commonly used in household and industrial processes. In 2006 examples of water to drink in twelve states were examined and ten percent were contaminated with chlorinated solvents.
4. Chemical Contaminants – Through the years we have produced many synthetic organic chemicals including antibiotics, herbicides, pesticides to mention but several. Most of these find their distance to our water supplies through various means, whether from illegal dumping of waste material or through the action of rain water. Once these end up in our water to drink they posses a really real threat to our own health.
Whenever they do end up in our water supply, according to the authorities they may be at “this type of low concentration which they do not pose any adverse health risk to consumers.” It sounds very comforting, however I would personally ask have you thought about the long term contact with these low concentrations? A minimal amount of pollutant probably would not affect an adult, but what can it do in order to a kid?
5. Chlorine – Chlorine has been used in our water supply for around 100 decades. It is actually still a priceless and effective disinfectant, plus it keeps working entirely approximately your tap. However chlorine does have an Achilles heel, water naturally contains organic matter so when this makes exposure to chlorine the end result is disinfection by-products. These by-products can affect the fitness of your central nervous system, liver and kidneys.
Your baby is very susceptible to anyone these contaminants so it’s a good idea to stop using tap water to make baby formula today. What you should do is get an effective water purifier. May I suggest a mix of ixoqvx carbon filters, ion exchange, and sub micron filtration. This will help remove of practically all the contaminants contained in water. If possible, get yourself a whole house water system and be sure you use purified water for all of your baby’s needs. In this way, you can ensure your baby stays safe and healthy.